Randall B. Gold
Mr. Gold handles legal matters and litigation (including trial work) involving employment discrimination, commercial litigation, retaliation, job harassment, civil rights, whistle-blowing, unlawful discharge, False Claims Act/Qui Tam, securities/investment claims, fraud, contract and defamation claims – primarily in Wisconsin and the Chicago metropolitan/Northern Illinois area, and elsewhere too.
Sample Cases / Client Recoveries
- 2023 – $400,000.00 settlement for a race/related retaliation case.
- Doe v. Parrillo, No. 2021 IL 126577 (11/18/21) Illinois Supreme Court affirmed $9 million jury verdict-including $8 million dollar punitive damage award.
- Michael Dubin v. Board of Madison Area Technical College, et al. (W.D.WI. 2011) – federal Title VII jury verdict of $1.1 million for compensatory and career loss/reputational damages, plus order of reinstatement with full back pay, interest, and record legal fee award of over $438,000 for unlawful termination of college professor by Dean after raising concerns of religious discrimination.
- EEOC and Dunse, Brown, and Gay v. Missoula Mac, Inc. d/b/a McDonald’s Restaurants (W.D.WI. 2012) – co-counseled class action case with EEOC resulting in federal court consent decree and $1 million dollar recovery for female restaurant employees claiming sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Cook County, Illinois (2012) – $1.45 million dollar recovery for pedestrian injured in cross-walk by negligent Chicago motorist.
- United States ex rel. Schwiderski vs. Northwestern University (N.D. Ill. 2000) – $5.75 million dollar recovery in federal False Claims Act qui tam lawsuit alleging that university violated federal NIH research grant requirements, and related retaliation claims by employee – whistleblower.
- Hohert v. Weir Slurry Group (W.D.WI. 2003) – federal jury verdict for lost wages and liquidated damages of $432,000, plus recovery of attorney fees/costs and substantial front pay, on claim of age discrimination in corporate down-sizing.
- Dr. Vivian West v. East Carolina University (N.C. 2005) – $185,000 recovery for former Research Director unlawfully fired after complaints of fraud and abuse in connection with university’s federal research grant contract.
- Chicago Auto Loans, LLC v. Yale Schiff, et al., (Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, No. 2012 L 013652) – March 2016: trial court verdict of $1.4 million for civil fraud and punitive damages against defendant in connection with his scheme to secure auto loan funding through phony car titles.
- In Ekholm v. The University of Chicago, Case No. 17-CV-03599, District Court, Northern District of Illinois, in his Minute Entry, the Honorable Jeffrey Cole wrote: “I would be remiss if I did not take special note of the parties counsel-Randall Gold of Fox & Fox, S.C. [and the other counsel of record]. They displayed a degree of excellence and courtesy and professionalism that is unfortunately rare in today’s fractious atmosphere. Their conduct is proof that lawyers can act civilly and courteously in their dealings with opposing counsel without sacrificing in the slightest the obligations they owe to their clients.”
Other Substantial Recoveries:
- $1.8 million – age discrimination
- $1.5 million- corporate healthcare executive/whistleblowers
- $1.125 million – breach of employment contract/unlawful discharge
- $985,000 – age discrimination/retaliation
- $950,000 – sexual harassment
- $900,000- executive severance/ whistleblowing
- $812,500 – age discrimination
- $650,000 – sexual harassment / retaliation
- $630,000 – whistleblower/retaliatory discharge
- $580,000 – partnership/LLC fraud and breach of contract
- $550,000 – age discrimination
- $525,000 – investment fraud
- $435,000 – age discrimination case
- $425,000 – sexual harassment/retaliation
- $365,000 – sexual harassment / retaliation
- $300,000 – religious harassment
- $275,000 – disability discrimination
- $250,000 – racial/religious harassment
- $240,000 – age discrimination
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Assistant Instructor of Legal Writing
- Chicago-Kent Law Review, Member
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Guest Speaker – Littler Mendelson 1999 National Employer Seminar, Chicago, IL – “Why Employees Sue.”
- Guest Speaker – 1999 State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention, Green Bay, WI – “Cutting Edge Issues in Civil Rights Litigation.”
- Guest Speaker – 1996 Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago, IL – “Legal Issues Concerning the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act.”
- Guest Speaker – 1995 Chicago Bar Association Employment law Seminar, Chicago, IL – “Employment Law Issues and Pitfalls.”
- Guest Speaker – 2007 SES Employment Law Update, Madison, WI – “Employment Law and EEO Developments”.
- Guest Speaker – 2012 Upper Midwest Employment Law Seminar, Minneapolis, MN – “Negotiations and ADR in Employment Disputes” and “Pretext in Employment Discrimination Cases.”
- Guest Speaker – 2013 SES Employment Law Seminar, Madison, WI – “Employment Law Update/Issues in the Workplace.”
- Guest Speaker – October 15-16th, 2015, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar – Employment Law Update – “An Overview of Select Federal Anti-Retaliation Statutes.”
- Guest Speaker – 2018 Annual Summer Conference of Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants, Seattle, WA-“Regulatory/Legal Principles Affecting PA’s in the Workplace.”
- Guest Speaker- 2021 Colorado Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants Conference, Denver, CO-“Common Issues and Strategies in Physician Assistant Employment Contracts.”
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated – highest legal abilities and ethical standards
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers – since 2009
- Illinois Super Lawyers-2022
- Best Lawyers in America – since 2010
- Top Attorneys in Wisconsin – since 2009
- Top Attorneys in Madison, WI – since 2010
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America – since 2016
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association Pro Bono Recognition, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., Member, Board of Arbitrators, 1988
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, Committee on Labor and Employment Law
- American Bar Association, Member, 1985 to Present
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member, 1999 to Present
- Member, Trial Law Institute
- Member, Diversity Law Institute
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Marvin E. Aspen, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Judicial Extern, 1984 to 1985
- Boodell, Sears, Giambalvo & Crowley, Chicago, Associate Attorney, 1985 to 1987
- Lawrence, Kamin, Saunders & Uhlenhop, Chicago, Associate Attorney, 1987 to 1991
- Lawrence, Kamin, Saunders & Uhlenhop, Chicago, Partner, 1991 to 1999