Randall B. Gold
Mr. Gold handles legal matters and litigation (including trial work) involving employment discrimination, commercial litigation, retaliation, job harassment, civil rights, whistle-blowing, unlawful discharge, False Claims Act/Qui Tam, securities/investment claims, fraud, contract and defamation claims – primarily in Wisconsin and the Chicago metropolitan/Northern Illinois area, and elsewhere too.
Sample Cases / Client Recoveries
- Doe v. Parrillo, No. 2021 IL 126577 (11/18/21) Illinois Supreme Court affirmed $9 million jury verdict-including $8 million dollar punitive damage award.
- Michael Dubin v. Board of Madison Area Technical College, et al. (W.D.WI. 2011) – federal Title VII jury verdict of $1.1 million for compensatory and career loss/reputational damages, plus order of reinstatement with full back pay, interest, and record legal fee award of over $438,000 for unlawful termination of college professor by Dean after raising concerns of religious discrimination.
- EEOC and Dunse, Brown, and Gay v. Missoula Mac, Inc. d/b/a McDonald’s Restaurants (W.D.WI. 2012) – co-counseled class action case with EEOC resulting in federal court consent decree and $1 million dollar recovery for female restaurant employees claiming sexual harassment and retaliation.
- Cook County, Illinois (2012) – $1.45 million dollar recovery for pedestrian injured in cross-walk by negligent Chicago motorist.
- United States ex rel. Schwiderski vs. Northwestern University (N.D. Ill. 2000) – $5.75 million dollar recovery in federal False Claims Act qui tam lawsuit alleging that university violated federal NIH research grant requirements, and related retaliation claims by employee – whistleblower.
- Hohert v. Weir Slurry Group (W.D.WI. 2003) – federal jury verdict for lost wages and liquidated damages of $432,000, plus recovery of attorney fees/costs and substantial front pay, on claim of age discrimination in corporate down-sizing.
- Dr. Vivian West v. East Carolina University (N.C. 2005) – $185,000 recovery for former Research Director unlawfully fired after complaints of fraud and abuse in connection with university’s federal research grant contract.
- Chicago Auto Loans, LLC v. Yale Schiff, et al., (Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, No. 2012 L 013652) – March 2016: trial court verdict of $1.4 million for civil fraud and punitive damages against defendant in connection with his scheme to secure auto loan funding through phony car titles.
Other Substantial Recoveries:
- $1.8 million – age discrimination
- $1.5 million- corporate healthcare executive/whistleblowers
- $1.125 million – breach of employment contract/unlawful discharge
- $985,000 – age discrimination/retaliation
- $950,000 – sexual harassment
- $900,000- executive severance/ whistleblowing
- $812,500 – age discrimination
- $650,000 – sexual harassment / retaliation
- $630,000 – whistleblower/retaliatory discharge
- $580,000 – partnership/LLC fraud and breach of contract
- $550,000 – age discrimination
- $525,000 – investment fraud
- $435,000 – age discrimination case
- $425,000 – sexual harassment/retaliation
- $365,000 – sexual harassment / retaliation
- $300,000 – religious harassment
- $275,000 – disability discrimination
- $250,000 – racial/religious harassment
- $240,000 – age discrimination
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin
- Illinois Institute of Technology Chicago-Kent College of Law, Chicago, Illinois
- J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence
- Honors: Assistant Instructor of Legal Writing
- Law Review: Chicago-Kent Law Review, Member
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Guest Speaker – Littler Mendelson 1999 National Employer Seminar, Chicago, IL – “Why Employees Sue.”
- Guest Speaker – 1999 State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Convention, Green Bay, WI – “Cutting Edge Issues in Civil Rights Litigation.”
- Guest Speaker – 1996 Illinois State Bar Association, Chicago, IL – “Legal Issues Concerning the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act.”
- Guest Speaker – 1995 Chicago Bar Association Employment law Seminar, Chicago, IL – “Employment Law Issues and Pitfalls.”
- Guest Speaker – 2007 SES Employment Law Update, Madison, WI – “Employment Law and EEO Developments”.
- Guest Speaker – 2012 Upper Midwest Employment Law Seminar, Minneapolis, MN – “Negotiations and ADR in Employment Disputes” and “Pretext in Employment Discrimination Cases.”
- Guest Speaker – 2013 SES Employment Law Seminar, Madison, WI – “Employment Law Update/Issues in the Workplace.”
- Guest Speaker – October 15-16th, 2015, State Bar of Wisconsin Seminar – Employment Law Update – “An Overview of Select Federal Anti-Retaliation Statutes.”
- Guest Speaker – 2018 Annual Summer Conference of Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants, Seattle, WA-“Regulatory/Legal Principles Affecting PA’s in the Workplace.”
- Guest Speaker- 2021 Colorado Society of Dermatology Physician Assistants Conference, Denver, CO-“Common Issues and Strategies in Physician Assistant Employment Contracts.”
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated – highest legal abilities and ethical standards
- Wisconsin Super Lawyers – since 2009
- Illinois Super Lawyers-2022
- Best Lawyers in America – since 2010
- Top Attorneys in Wisconsin – since 2009
- Top Attorneys in Madison, WI – since 2010
- Litigation Counsel of America – since 2016
- Eastern District of Wisconsin Bar Association Pro Bono Recognition, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., Member, Board of Arbitrators, 1988
- Chicago Bar Association, Member, Committee on Labor and Employment Law
- American Bar Association, Member, 1985 to Present
- Wisconsin State Bar Association, Member, 1999 to Present
Past Employment Positions
- Hon. Marvin E. Aspen, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois, Judicial Extern, 1984 to 1985
- Boodell, Sears, Giambalvo & Crowley, Chicago, Associate Attorney, 1985 to 1987
- Lawrence, Kamin, Saunders & Uhlenhop, Chicago, Associate Attorney, 1987 to 1991
- Lawrence, Kamin, Saunders & Uhlenhop, Chicago, Partner, 1991 to 1999